Sunday, July 28, 2013

Summer Lovin...Tropical Shortcake!

It is HOT as the dickens here in South Florida! I am not thinking about what I can bring to the table for dinner I am thinking what Ice Cold Treat will save me from wilting from this Scorcher!
Fortunately my neighbors Mango Tree is heavy with lovely juicy and ripely sweetened mangoes fresh for the picking! I send the man over to knock on the neighbor's door and offer to "unload the tree" um... so if we get a storm they wont become projectiles... yaaah that's the story :) hehehehe.
I love it when he comes back in with his Milk Crate full of ripe sweet and juicy mangoes!!! JACKPOT!!!!!



Ok.. so Mangoes in hand. I peel several. Slice and chop them and add them to a saucepan. Add equal amounts of sugar and water and bring to a simmer. Once the boiling starts I lower to very low and simmer for 10 minutes to bring the flesh to it's (non-stringy stage). I use my whisk to break down the flesh and stir it into a nice thick sauce :)
 O - M - G... is it good!

Fly out to the grocery and grab some pound cake or some "shortcake shells" and a small pint of Coconut ice cream and I have my favorite Summer treat of all time!


It's a Tropical Shortcake Sundae!

The best thing about it, is that if you are able to save (freeze) a bit of the sauce for the Winter you can have this wonderful "Summer Love Treat" all Year Long!






By the way the "Sauce" is great over Waffles too!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment