Friday, March 15, 2013

A Perfect Friday Meal: Caldeirada Bacalhau (Codfish Stew)

Friday's of my childhood were always Fish Fridays. Well into my adulthood I kept with the tradition. I love Fish on Fridays for whatever reason. Maybe because it's what I'm used to but if it's Friday and I'm not eating fish, it's just doesn't seem like Friday.

Portuguese Codfish Stew

Caldeirada Bacalhau http://foodslove/blogspot.com

Ingredients:

1lb to 1.5 lb Salted Cod 
*I used the boxed kind, but your Seafood guy may have something else. Now, if you;d like to use a sturdy "white" fish (haddock, tilapia etc...that works too, just add salt to the broth to accommodate)

*2 Nights before preparing the dish: Take Cod from it's packaging and place in a shallow dish that give it room (not too tight fitting. 
Add enough water to the dish to completely submerge the fish.
Soak the fish for 2 days. (changing water at least twice per day. I do it 3 times, but I don't work outside the home)
On the day of prep : drain the water from the fish if the water is still cloudy rinse the fish again, and soak it until ready to prepare.

Remaining Ingredients:

Olive Oil (for bottom of the pan)
1 Small Onion (diced small)
1 Large Onion (preferably spanish onion) Sliced in "strands"
(Cut the onion in half, then slice the onion in slices and separate the pieces into strands)
3 cloves Garlic (chopped finely) (or 2 tbsp already chopped garlic)
2 tbsp Red Pepper
 (I use Pimenta Moida or wet crushed red pepper. You can use 1 tbsp dry pepper flakes if it's what you have)  
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Paprika (I use "Saffroa" in the same amount)
2 (10oz) Cans of Diced Tomatoes
1 cup White Wine
1 cup Seafood Stock (may substitute 4 oz Clam juice and 4 oz water)

2 lbs Potatoes (peeled and sliced)
( I used 3 medium russet potatoes)

1 tsp Parsley

Instructions:

Portuguese Codfish Stew http://foodslove.blogspot.comIn a large heated Pot, add the olive oil, "diced" Onion, Garlic, Red Pepper and Paprika. Saute until the onion is translucent. Once translucent, add the slices of the Large Onion, the Tomatoes and the Vinegar. Simmer over medium heat until all comes to a boil. Add Wine and Stock, bring to simmer again. 
Taste. Does it need salt, pepper? Anything? If so, add it now.

Add the Potatoes. Arrange evenly around the pot. so it looks like a layer of potatoes floating in the sauce.
Add Cod on top of Potatoes. Be sure there is stock enough to just cover the fish. If not, add water to the stock.
Cover and simmer on medium to medium low heat for 40 mins.

Once potatoes are cooked through, the dish is done.
The Cod should be flaking and ready, add the parsley & stir through. Leave in the covered pot, on a warm stove until ready to serve.
Serve Family Style with Crusty Bread to soak up that seafood juicy goodness.

This is a very traditional dish for Azoreans and very close to my heart. 
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did sharing it with you.

If you have any questions at all, let me know here or on Facebook.
And if you just Love it please Pin it for your friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment