Saturday, August 17, 2013

Leftover Squash idea: Squash Bread Pudding

Hey All, I know it's a busy week and we all have alot to cook and get ready. I just had a quick thought and threw together something really quickly. It came out fantastic and I thought I'd pass it on.
I had to clean out my fridge for the grocery shopping , in doing so I found that I had alot of extra bread and some zucchini and yellow squash I hadn't used. I immediately thought hmmm How about a bread pudding??
Ya know here is a thought, Any squash would do here. You could also use pumpkin or sweet potatoes. This would be a great little treat to make with any "squash-type" leftovers...those dinner rolls and left over squash and /or sweet potatoes... YUM !!!
Here it is:

Squash Bread Pudding



2 cups Whole Milk or Half and Half
6 Eggs
1 1/2 cups cooked Squash 
(I roasted squash cubes in 2 tbsp butter on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes)
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 cup Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla
4 cups Bread (cubed)

** Optional Add ins: Raisins, Dried Cranberries, Nuts

Preheat oven to 375° f
Place Bread in 9x13 baking dish

Combine all liquid ingredients in a blender.
Blend until smooth.
Add sugar. Blend until Sugar dissolved.

Pour mixture over Bread in baking dish.
Let sit and soak. (until oven is warm or at least15 mins)

Place baking dish on top of cookie sheet in case of spill over.

Bake in 375° oven for 1 hour or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment