Wednesday, March 9, 2011

We're having a Fish Fry!



My Significant Other goes fishing at least 3 times a month.
We live in Miami, fishing is just something the Men here do, Alot!
I have learned that when he goes fishing, I wait for the call before making dinner plans.
Lately we have had bounties of Kingfish. Not my favorite, but still fresh fish is fresh fish. Kingfish is of the mackerel family.
According to the FDA, "Kingfish is among one of the 4 types of fish, pregnant women and children should avoid due to the high mercury concentration." Aside from that it can be quite a tasty fish. It is high in fat, in that, it's a high Omega 3 source.
So for Adults (non-pregnant) great fish for a fish fry!

By the time I get the fish, it is cleaned and cut into "steaks". The center of the steak has a circular bone with small spines. Easily seen and "pickable". If you'd like to avoid this, the fish can be cut into fillets.
Our favorite way to prepare Kingfish is frying. Thus, A Fish Fry:

Fried Kingfish

Ingredients:

4 -6 Kingfish Steaks
2-3 Lemons
Complete Seasoning (red or green top)
Black Pepper
2 cups All Purpose Flour

Instructions:

Lay each Steak out flat on a paper towel.
Dry each steak.
Lay on a platter.
Zest 2 Lemons, set aside.

In a bowl, combine 3 Tbsp Complete Seasoning, 1 Tbsp Black Pepper, Lemon zest and Flour.

Squeeze Lemon juice over both sides of steaks.
Dredge lemon soaked fish into flour mixture.
Set aside, for 2 hours.

When ready to fry:


Bring a minimum of 2 inches of Vegetable oil to 350° f.
Fry fish for approx 3 minutes each side or until golden
Remove fish from heat, set on paper towel to drain, salt and pepper to taste.

Squeeze remaining lemon juice over fish just before serving.

I served the fish with white rice, sauteed greens and plaintain chips.

The Plaintain Chips are simply "green" plantains sliced very thinly, and fried in vegetable oil just like you would, potato chips. I fried the plantains while the fish was marinating and let them stay warm in a 200 degree oven while I fried the fish.

16 comments:

  1. As typical, your dishes look mouth watering!!
    Looks really delicious!! I have never had Kingfish before...LOVE Plantain chips...love them!! One of my favorite snacks! Have you tried baked chips??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That lools great. Nothing better than a fish fry in my opinion. It is nice that the hubby is a good fisherman. mine is not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ken, Yes I have tried baked chips, they are awesome aren't they?! Works very well to make them a lighter selection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Veronica poor guy! I'm sure he's good at other things! Like picking out the best one at the Fish Monger! lol. Thanks for the kind comments and for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love all that is on that plate! ~slurp!~ Your fish looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can only buy frozen kingfish here and we love it. I can imagine how delicious the fresh caught one is . You are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic! Love the idea of the plantain chips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh woooww.. that look lovely! im actually a big fan of kingfish - very yummy in fish curry.

    thanks for sharing! great job!

    Jas at http://OurEyesEatFirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Kate! You are amazing! I dont know how you find the time to do all you do and still send such wonderful comments ! Thanks for being such a great Blog friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adora, Thanks for stopping by, it is wonderful! Next time your here in Florida let me know and I'll be sure to get some to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy, Plantain chips are pretty common here, I'll have to send you some :) You might want to check your potato chip/snack section of the supermarket. There are commercially made ones that are pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jas, that sounds wonderful! We've had an escobeche with kingfish, but not curry...I'll have to try it! Thanks so much for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great dish and great presentation! Mouthwatering! I love plantain chips!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Manuela you are so sweet! Thanks so much! We enjoyed plantain chips here more than potato ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man oh man...I grew up with a grandfather that was a pro deep sea fisherman. One time I asked my mom why my grandmothers tuna sandwiches were so much better than anyone elses when I was a kid. She said "because grampa caught the fish the day before. Blew me away that I never knew that.

    Dr. Food is from Texas and when we would visit we would go fishing (I love fishing even more than cooking) we would have fish frys.

    This post brought back lots of memories. If you wrote about POACHED fish it would have been another story...

    Can I come to dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol...Janis, absolutely anytime!!! It would be my honor! and by the way...."poached" fish? bleck.... Even though my address label says otherwise, I am a New Englander at heart :) I actually get excited when Lent rolls around.. Fish, Fish Fish... yum! Thanks so much for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete