Monday, January 31, 2011

Boston Cream Pie Cheesecake

A Challenging Dessert, but Every Bite is Worth it!

As many of you know I am originally from New England.
Boston Cream Pie is in our blood. It's a birthright..LOL
One morning in December I was watching QVC and saw "Junior's" Cheesecake announcing a "New" Cheesecake. The "Boston Cream Pie Cheesecake". The Demo was mouth watering.
You can see it if you click on the link above. Thank goodness the TV is a way away from the sofa..I would have had some "splainin" to do. Anyway I watched the entire Demo. I then immediately hit the computer to see if I could get a close up picture. I had to see this and figure it out. Little did I know that this was going to be a research project of Junior High School proportions. I found a few pictures, but they were of home made ones. Apparently Junior's gave QVC the exclusive for the month of December and were not selling it on their website. Aaaarrrgghhhhh! I Will Not Be Defeated! I will figure this out.
I continued the research and found a You tube video of one of the "Junior's" Execs doing a demo @ Google
He explained much of the process.
Here it is:
Juniors uses a "yellow cake" at the bottom of their cheesecakes some of the time. In this instance they did use a Yellow cake on the bottom, then made the cheesecake on top of it. (using the yellow cake as a "crust") They then bake it in a water bath. Once baked, it's cooled, then refrigerated Overnight! In the morning it is then covered with a layer of Pastry Cream. Another yellow cake layer is placed on top and it is refrigerated again. After a minimum of 4 hours, the cake is then covered with Chocolate Ganache and refrigerated once again!
I was in awe. Although I am an "advanced" home cook, "Pastry Cream", "Cheesecake"..and "Ganache" all in one cake. All in one place. Hmmmm...Challenging for sure. I was not intimidated, though. I had never made Pastry Cream before, but was confident that if I could get the process down, I could do it.

Here's a pic of the final piece
Not bad, huh? Let me tell you.. There was a Pastry Cream Dance in my kitchen that day!
Well, I've told ya the process, now here's the recipe and the Instructions.

I won't say it's easy.. But..It's totally doable. The alternative is paying $40.00 (plus shipping) to Juniors for an 8" cake. If you can get one and QVC doesn't have an exclusive.
It could be something you might want to use as a Valentine. The receiver will surely LOVE it!

Here goes:

Yellow Sponge Cake

Ingredients
1 C Butter (room temp)
2 1/2 C Sugar
3 Eggs (room temp)
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 1/2 C Sour Cream (room temp)
3 3/4 C A/P Flour
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 1/2 tsp Baking Soda

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and Flour (2) 9 inch Cake Pans.
In Mixing Bowl, Cream together Eggs, Butter and Sugar.
Beat until fluffy.
Add Sour Cream and Combine.
Add Vanilla and combine.
In Separate Bowl combine all dry ingredients.
Add dry ingredients, mix until well combined.

Pour Cake batter (divided evenly) into the 2 Cake pans. Tap sides and bottom for air bubbles.
Place in 350 oven, Bake for 30 - 40 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool on racks for min 1 hour.

Pastry Cream
Pastry Cream needs to be done ahead so chilling time will coincide with the process. 
Instructions for Pastry Cream and Chocolate Ganache Preparation courtesy of: FoodWishes.blogspot.com
See Video below.

Ingredients
1/2 tbsp butter
1 cup whole milk
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 C or 7 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoon cornstarch
3 eggs
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
big pinch of salt



Chocolate Ganache
*Instructions are also in the video.


Ingredients
4 ounces high-quality dark chocolate, preferably bittersweet
1/2 cup cream
1 teaspoon butter

Please take a moment to view this video, It explains the Pastry Cream & Ganache Process.
Please do both ahead of making the Cheesecake Portion of the cake.






Ok, Are we caught up?
We need to move on to the cheesecake.
There are a few things I need to let you in on.
I did not do this cake in a "Spring form pan"
You can if you want to.
It may be easier, but I wanted the size.

Cheesecake

Ingredients

2 Eggs
1/2 C Sugar
16 oz Cream Cheese (softened)
2 tsp Vanilla

Combine Eggs and Sugar. Beat until Fluffy. Add Cream Cheese. Beat until Smooth.
Fold in Vanilla.

Instructions

Take on of the Yellow Cake layers and Slice it's thickness in half. (or just shave off the top making it even.)
Put the cake back in it's 9" baking pan. Pour the Cheesecake batter over it. Place the Cake in a larger (I used an oblong pan) Pan. Fill the Oblong pan with Water to about mid way of the 9" baking pan.
Bake the Cheesecake for 30 mins.
Remove from oven, cool for 30 minutes.
Place in refrigerator for 2 hours.

Whole Cake Assembly:


Remove Cheesecake from pan.
(yes it can be done, I did it. Just be patient and careful. The yellow cake on the bottom makes it easier to do.) **If you used a spring form pan, this step will be "Remove Outer Ring."


Once Cake is "removed from pan" You will note the first layers are done.
Now add the pastry cream over the cheesecake layer.
Then Add the other Yellow Cake Layer on Top. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Remove from Refrigerator
Cover with Ganache (per video)
Refrigerate immediately.





**NOTE:

I thought my amount of Pastry Cream could have been doubled. To try it, you might want to stay with the recipe as given, but After making it, I think it could use double the amount of Pastry cream to establish a "True" Pastry Cream Layer.




The completed Cake is Fantastic! Well worth every step in the process. Tips would be: Make the Pastry Cream and the Ganache first. Set aside the Ganache and the Pastry Cream can refrigerate all day if you want. The colder it gets the thicker it gets.

When you cut the first piece and taste the first bite...You'll ahhhhh and say Yup she was right. It was WELL worth it.


Best of Luck my Foodies! This is what it's all about!





18 comments:

  1. Wow that looks so delsih!! I want a piece NOW!! I can't wait to make this!!! Thank you so much Laurie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston Cream Pie is my favorite dessert next to Tiramisu....This looks complicated, but oh so worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, It's absolutely my pleasure! If you find an easier way.. please let me know. I think the springform pan is probably easier.. but the size would be smaller. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, It's step by step, but ohhhh so worth it! Give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks really challenging and really adorable.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my!!! I have a feeling my daughter will want this for her birthday cake after I show it to her...so much goodness in one dessert! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, me, oh, my, I think there's drool on my computer! I am originally from MA, and we love our Boston Creme (and our Dunkin Donuts, Red Sox, and Sam Adams! he he!). Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Medeja, I'll be posting an easy alternative today...It's not exactly the same, but Chocolate and Pastry cream...Can't be too bad :)
    Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lizzy, Today's post will give you the opportunity to make Your Daughter this "type" of cake but in a Cupcake or Mini Form :) But if your feeling like a challenge,,, I'd love to see your results!!! Thanks so much for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tiffany: I so know exactly what you mean! I have drool covers on my screen and keyboard, just for that reason..lol. As a fellow New Englander I so know whatcha mean! That's wy when I saw it on QVC, nothing was going to stop me from trying to replicate it! You have to try it! It's Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my word!!! This is wow! Drool alert...I want to shove my face in there and just eat it up! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate, LOL Now that's a descriptive comment. I laughed so loud my dog looked up at me. I'm so glad you liked it! Hope you try it and Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy Cannoli that looks good. Or should I say, Holy Boston Cream Pie that looks good. Wow - that sounds sooooo delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brandie, lol @ Holy Cannoli! too funny. It is a wonderful dessert well worth the effort to make! Hope you make it and send a pic :) I would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a feat!!! Our mouths are watering!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much Chris and Amy :)I'm glad you like it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AWESOME! As a devoted cheesecake fan and Boston Cream Pie lover, I find this irresistible! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Michele, So glad you liked it! Hope you give it a try! Send me a pic :)

    ReplyDelete