Friday, March 22, 2013

A Quick and Flavorful Dinner; Shrimp & Broccoli Alfredo

As many of you know I am Portuguese and in my home growing up we observed Lent.
This, to us, meant we didn't eat Meat on Wednesday and Friday. During the year, we didn't eat meat on Friday. I have to say if you ask me now, why I don't eat meat on Friday during Lent I'd have to say it's habit. It's a nice break. It's a nice tradition. (If anyone tells my Grandmother I'd deny it!) It's ok she passed away in 1990, But you know what I mean. For the most part this is a tradition.

When I decided to live with my Cuban Bf, he didn't observe Lent. As I am the one who makes the meals, He did observe lent, he just didn't know it. I just made a point of making Fish on Friday. He never thought to question it. He just ate it :) What a guy! When he asked why so much fish, I would say it's Lent and he just went along with it. He now knows to ask when Lent is coming because there are some concoctions I have made for him that he misses when it isn't Lent anymore.
Like Spaghetti with Tuna Marinara. The very first time I made it for him, I was scared to serve it.
But he was a trooper, he said, he would try anything I made. 
Spaghetti with Tuna Marinara was a meal my Mom used to make for us during Lent. She had 4 kids & was on a very limited income (no child support). She had to make every buck stretch. Needless to say we never saw the Shrimp, Scallops or Salmon my Son & Stepdaughters are used to.
But anyway, He loves the Spaghetti with Tuna Marinara so much, that during the year when it isn't Lent he asks, "When is Lent again? I really could use a plate of that spaghetti!" Go figure.

This week, I made one of his faves. Shrimp. He loves Shrimp! He especially loves shrimp that's sauteed with onion, garlic, red pepper flakes & sundried tomatoes.

So, Tonight we had  Shrimp & Broccoli Alfredo
This is one of the easiest ways I know to make a flavorful Shrimp dinner without really taking a chance of overcooking it. Give it a try. Tell me what You think!

Shrimp and Broccoli Alfredo http://foodslove.blogspot.com
Ingredients:

1 lb (41-50) Shrimp
2 tbsp Sundried Tomatoes (with their Olive Oil & chopped)
2 Tbsp Garlic chopped
2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1/2 medium Onion chopped
2 -3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup White Wine (or Chicken Stock)
*Flour for dredging the shrimp

1/2 - 3/4 lb Pasta (your choice)

2 cups Cream
(half and half can also be used)
2 tbsp Butter
3 tbsp Flour
1 cup Parmesan Cheese

Fresh Broccoli 1/2 lb
(1 cup chopped)

Instructions:

Cook Pasta per Package Directions
Drain Pasta, return Pan to stove at
Medium/High Heat.

Sauce
Add Butter and flour to pan.
Heat butter and flour for 2-3 minutes add cream.
Bring Sauce to boil. Add Parmesan, Lower heat to Low and simmer until ready to use.

Shrimp
Heat a Saute Pan to Medium High Heat, add Olive Oil, Onions, Garlic, Red Pepper & Sun Dried Tomatoes.
Saute until well combined and heated through. Onions should be translucent.
Dredge Shrimp through flour.
Add to Saute Pan.
Turn heat down to Medium.
Turn Shrimp frequently.
When the Shrimp Turn Pink, add the Wine and simmer on medium low to low for 2 minutes .

While the Shrimp is simmering:
Place "fresh" Broccoli  in a Microwave safe bowl with 1/4 cup water and Microwave for 90 seconds to 2 minutes.
Add Broccoli and Pasta to Sauce.

Serve the Shrimp Over the Pasta.
Enjoy!

**If you'd rather not have the Alfredo. Omit it. The Shrimp and it's Sauce is Fabulous over the pasta! You can also add Lemon if you're not doing the Alfredo. Either way it's a really easy and flavorful way to serve Shrimp.

**Remember if you like this recipe: *Pin* it for your friends :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment