Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cinnamon Apple Bread Pudding...My Way

It has been my experience that I cook I am adventurous but I bake from memory. I very often share and gear toward what I know and am comfortable with when I bake. When I venture out on a new culinary adventure, I do it on the savory side of the kitchen. This may be for a couple of reasons. Baking is harder. It is an exact science most of the time. The components all have to gel together so that "it comes up right" or is "sweet enough"  or isn't "too runny" etc...I bake safely. I follow recipes when I have to, I don't experiment with things I haven't tried too often, because the anxiety is too much for me. I have all the drama I want with The Real Housewives and General Hospital...whew....Who needs more pressure than Dante getting shot AGAIN?1!?!
I love the ability to go back to my roots and make my favorite comfort Pastry and know it is going to be Fabulous! 
Today I share with you my family's recipe for Bread Pudding. I emphasize "My Family's" recipe because there are a million recipes for Bread Pudding. This recipe is a no muss no fuss "fool proof" recipe, that can be varied in taste by changing the components without messing it up. I love that kind of recipe!
My Mom and i ran a restaurant in Punta Gorda Florida for a while and she was always so dismayed when we had leftover bread products. She never understood why we had to carry so many different types of Bread. We used Rye, Wheat, White, Hawaiian, Portuguese Sweetbread, Italian baguette, Not to mention, hamburger, hot dog and "hoagie" rolls. One afternoon she came out from the back and said "Taste this"..(her favorite words)
It was Great! She had made a Giant Bread Pudding with a combination of all of the leftover bread. It was fantastic! So, Like I said...this is fool proof. 

Cinnamon Apple Bread Pudding


Ingredients:

8 Eggs
4 Cups of Milk (try to use whole milk, 2% at least. Thinner milk will make it too wet)
1 1/2 cups Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Lemon Juice
6 Cups Bread (cubed)
2 cups Diced Apple (about 4 medium Apples) 
1/4 cup Cinnamon
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 tbsp cold Butter

Grease a Baking Vessel
*note: The Deeper the vessel, the longer the baking time*
I sometimes use a nice deep large Souffle dish for flair, but as I said it takes alot longer to bake.

Preheat Oven to 375° f

Prep:
Slice Bread into Cubes (not too small, a little bigger than crouton size)
Core and Dice Apples (sprinkle with lemon juice if desired to reduce oxidizing)
Cut butter into Brown Sugar (set aside)

Instructions:

Beat Eggs and Sugar, until Sugar has dissolved and you obtain the consistency of ribbons.
Add Milk, Vanilla, Lemon and Salt. Beat until well combined.
Add cubed bread to Egg (custard) mixture.
Combine and set aside for 30 minutes to allow bread to soak up custard.
After 30 minutes, Sprinkle mixture with half of the cinnamon.(1/8 cup / 2 tbsp)
Combine.
Add Apples. 
Combine Mixture Well.

Pour Mixture into Prepared Baking Vessel.
Add remaining Cinnamon to Brown Sugar and Butter.
Sprinkle Brown Sugar Mixture over the top of Bread Mixture.

Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. (9x13 pan) 
If using deeper pan continue baking until inserted skewer comes out clean
**If bread pudding starts to take on too much color before bottom is baked through, cover with foil.
Enjoy!








Variations:
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Instead of Apples
Add Pumpkin and Pumpkin Pie Spice.

Traditional Portuguese Bread Pudding
Exchange Craisins, or Raisins for Apples.

Bananas Foster Bread Pudding:
Bananas in this would be great, just be sure to use some on top too as a Bananas Foster type of Bread Pudding.

Chocolate Bread Pudding:
Add 1/4 Cup Cocoa to the custard and eliminate the Cinnamon from the top.
Top with Brown Sugar, Butter, Cocoa and Chocolate Chips! Wow what a decadent delight.

Fabulous Dinner Party Dessert:
Pour warm Cooked Vanilla Pudding  over the Plain Bread Pudding (no apples or brown sugar topping) and top with a little Fresh Fruit and Whipped Cream.

Update: 10-07-13
This weekend at the Farmer's Market I shared this bread pudding (a little zshushed up) with the Masses.
Their Delicious Heat Defying Outrageous Caramel Apple Bread Pudding was a Hit (It sold out!).

Here are the Additional steps for that Bread pudding:
Prepare the bread pudding as seen above, only sprinkle the top with a few of the diced apple pieces & Pour a Can of Sweetened Condensed milk over the top of them.
Then bake as directed.
When it done and you remove it from the oven, Douse the top with a Really good Caramel Sauce. I use Ghirardelli when I don't make my own. In this case I made my own because the preparations for the Farmer's Market are all HOMEMADE nothing processed (except the a/p flour).
Hope you all enjoy as much as the customers did! It was superbly divine!



19 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, what a great fall treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm bread pudding is one of my family's favorite desserts and I love the combination of apples and cinnamon with this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you everyone for such wonderful comments. This is the epitome of Comfort Food for me :) So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bookmarked! I adore bread pudding: Everything I love in one warm comforting bite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy indeed! Great ideas for variation too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow,love the idea of making Bread Pudding with varied types of Bread-sounds like a nice idea!Bread puddin looks yummm and congrats on the Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read your directions several times to see if I'm missing it, but you don't say when to add the milk to make the "milk mixture" in which you soak the bread. I assume you add it with the vanilla, lemon juice, and salt (in order to make a custard). This sounds fantastic, and I think I'm going to try it with a cinnamon bread or Amish friendship bread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane, I thought of that when I made it again today...It was my intention to go back and reread the recipe today because I didn't remember writing it in....LOL You are very observant! Thanks so much for really reading it!
    Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made the pumpkin version for my family for our Thanksgiving this weekend and it was a HUGE hit! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like the perfect fall dessert. And who doesn't love bread pudding?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can this be made ahead of time (like a day) and either cooked or reheated the following day? I'd like to make it for Thanksgiving, but oven space is always a premium.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane, Most certainly. You can make it up to 4-5 days ahead of time. So if you'd like to have it for Thanksgiving, please feel free to make it Sunday or Monday...I would refrigerate it to keep it, if possible. (I live in Florida my house is 80 degrees) If you live in a northern part of the country, that may not be necessary. Cover with "foil" as plastic retains moisture too much. Otherwise..your set to go!!! Enjoy!!
    (Hope there's enough left until Thanksgiving, it sure is tasty! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure if I used the right kind of bread or if it wasn't dry (stale) enough...I used a cinnamon bread that was fairly fresh. After baking for an hour, it seemed "set" however there was a lot of clear liquid in the bottom of the dish. I let it cool completely, then reheated the next day, hoping the excess liquid would be absorbed or evaporate, however it was still there. The top portion of the pudding was delicious, but the underside was very wet, not "set." I used a 2 1/2 qt. dish to make this. Perhaps the 9x13 would work better. I definitely want to try again, seeing as it was still delicious...very much like the center part of a cinnamon roll!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diane, "clear liquid" could mean a few things.
    The "dairy" you used didn't have enough fat content? You used too many apples? Did you use pumpkin? was it watery?
    When you make it again, if it is the fat content issue with the dairy..try a higher fat content.
    If you used Pumpkin, maybe strain the pumpkin? (I have to admit this has never been an issue for me with the pumpkin, but someone on the FB page said their pumpkin was watery.)
    If it is the apples, cut back or bake for additional time, only once browned evenly and sufficiently on top, cover with aluminum foil and bake for an additional (30 minutes) checking 15 minutes at a time. This prevents the top from getting too dark and too dry.
    Here's another hint: After the mixture has soaked, if you have an exorbitant amount of liquid in the bowl..you might want to add more bread, or pour off some liquid. It should be soaked through with only a "small" amount of residual custard surrounding it.
    Hope this helps. Can't wait to hear about your next try :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't use pumpkin...I went with the recipe as written (except for using cinnamon bread). I used whole milk in the recipe also. I know there was a lot of custard leftover after soaking the bread, so next time I'll either use a heartier bread (like a crusty italian) or pour off some of the custard before baking. I have a frozen loaf of cinnamon bread in my freezer right now, just waiting to be dunked in sweet cinnamon custard! :) I may add some chocolate chips to it and make it like a Mexican chocolate bread pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diane, the chocolate chips sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a delicious looking Bread Pudding! Love the addition of the applies!

    ReplyDelete