Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Ordinary yet Not so Ordinary Dinner...

I had taken out a Boneless Chicken Breast to make "Him" something for dinner. I had no idea what I was going to do, but I would marinate it anyway...I added the Chicken Breast to a Tupperware container with some Italian dressing, Crushed Garlic and some Frozen Adobo sauce from my chipotle peppers. It marinated for a few hours.
When I was ready to cook, I took out the chicken and when I opened the container a beautiful aroma wafted from the chicken. The Adobo had added a spicy / smoky component to an ordinary chicken breast that I hadn't really thought about.
I sliced some onion and added it to a cast iron pan (about half a medium onion) with some olive oil. Once the onion was tender I added the chicken breast. Let the chicken breast get some color. Once it was nicely browned on both sides, I added 1/2 cup wine and the rest of the marinade. Brought the "sauce" to a simmer and tasted it. It was spicy & smokey, but kind of one dimensional. I then added 2 tbsp Brown sugar. That Did It!!! I hit the jackpot! The addition of the Brown Sugar gave it a sweet first note, then the chipotle (in the adobo) comes right back to bite your tongue. It was slight enough that you get an even amount of sweet to spicy in every bite. Absolutely Perfection.

Don't ask me how...It just is...

As this is my 100th post, I thought it interesting that I share with you exactly how my recipes come about. I don't spend everyday scowling through Cookbooks and Internet sites...I merely walk through my kitchen, my grocery and through my life experiencing everything around me...This inspires me. I know I say it all the time, but Cooking isn't Hard. Getting the motivation to cook is hard! I hope that my 100, 1000, 10,000 posts will inspire you to cook. Simply Cook. I'm not asking for 5 Star Dinners every night. Just cook, at your own kitchen stove, in your very own home. It is that which brings me here Everyday!
Thank you so much for reading!
~Laurie

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Laurie on your 100th post-I look forward to more of your delicious recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree cooking isn/t ahrd when you make it with passion and comes out in special good way (like teh chicken dish) when you meke it for the ones you love;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats by your 100th post! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your 100th post. We cook a lot alike. I don't flip through recipe books either. Instinct and experience is our best friends in the kitchen, it seems. It's an art, I'd say. Baking on the other hand is a whole different story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your 100th post of awesomeness in the kitchen. I'm with you on not needing a cookbook or a recipe to cook a dish. Cooking to me is an art laced with instincts and experience. Baking is an entirely different story though. The best part about cooking is sharing it with the loved ones. Here's to thousands more deliciousness in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete