Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Homemade Hamburger Rolls

This morning I read a blog that absolutely delighted me. Her name is Kimberly and her Blog is: The Farmer's Wife. She told a story that many in the food blogging area can understand. She stated that she was feeling unmotivated to go to the market to get hamburger rolls for dinner. She has a toddler and it would mean that she had to put on the toddler's socks and shoes, and if you are a mother you know what a trial that can be.
But a "civilian" would never understand that statement "I am feeling to Lazy to go to the market, I'm going to make my own". I don't know a lot of people in the "outside" world that would understand that statement unless they were Moms or "Food" people.
For me, I completely understand, as going to the market includes putting on something more than "the usual" attire and driving to a store where English is not their first language. Never mind the parking...It is much much easier to try to make them myself as I cook everyday anyway.
In the beginning of the year my resolution was to try to make my own bread. when I saw Kimberly's recipe I immediately was excited at the fact that it had very few ingredients (my m.o.) and I had the ingredients on hand. There are a few differences in our recipes. Kimberly made her dough in the Bread Machine, I did not. So the kneading, the flour and yeast are a little different. All in all they came out Fantastic just the same!
Here you have:
Home made Hamburger Rolls
Ingredients:
3 3/4 Cup Flour (AP)
1 1/4 cup Milk (warm, about 100°-110° f)
1/4 cup Sugar
1 Egg (beaten)
4 tbsp butter (2 tbsp melted, 2 tbsp cut in cubes)
3 tsp Dry Active Yeast
3/4 tsp Salt
4 inch round cookie or biscuit cutter

Instructions:
Grease a baking sheet


In small bowl place 1/4 cup of the warm milk
Add yeast and 2 tbsp of the sugar.
Stir slowly with fingers to dissolve yeast.
Let stand 10 minutes.
(after 10 minutes the yeast should be frothy. If not, the yeast is dead)

In Large Mixing Bowl sift together
3 cups of the Flour
Salt
Remaining Sugar
Mix well.
Once mixture is sufficiently combined, make a well in the middle.
Add beaten egg, milk, butter and yeast.
With hands pull the dry ingredients into the wet.
Keep folding mixture in toward the middle to incorporate.
Be calm, and do this slowly and gingerly. Try to keep the air in the mixture.
Once mixture is combined.
Fold mixture out onto a floured surface. (this is where the other 3/4 cup flour is)
Pat mixture out into a round about 2 inches thick.
Using the cookie cutter, cut out rounds.
Place each round on greased baking sheet.
Coat each "bun" with butter.
(I skipped the butter and used an egg wash when baking)
Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
(Kimberly says "heat your oven @ 200° for 1-2 minutes. Turn it off and placed the rolls in the oven to rise.)
I placed mine outside (84 degrees in Florida today)
Once buns have doubled in size place in 350° preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden.
And the result is a beautifully warm wonderful yeast roll You made yourself!
Enjoy!







12 comments:

  1. wow I can imagine the smell baking must have been glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Laurie for the shout out! I am SO glad they turned out so great for you, they look incredible! It's nice to be understood, and you are SO right, those outside of the Mom/Foodie world still comment to me on my "Laziness" of that day! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to make these for a while now. These look delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claudia, The smell of fresh baking bread is phenomenal! It's a good reason to make them all in itself!

    Kimberly, My pleasure! You are make me laugh and have wonderful ideas!

    GGMOM, Hope they work out well for you! They are fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe has been calling my name ever since I saw them. They turned out beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandie, They really are something arent they! Thanks so much! Hope you make them soon! They're as delicious as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. youre so brave! i dont think I could pull this of but thanks for sharing - maybe one day! : j

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naaahhhh, me? Brave? lol...It was a resolution keeper, and it was Easy.. try it! It will surely help your "bread" confidence. I know it did mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah those rolls are so good! Yours look perfect!!

    I so relate to Kim...If I can make it at home, I just do it... I hate going to the grocery store with my toddler...it is one heck of an experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look fantastic! I tried making my own buns, and they looked nice but were way too dense. I'll definitely try your recipe/method soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm late to the party but I have a question. Was there no kneading needed? If yes, then wow, REALLY cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely correct, "momomom"! No kneading just folding :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete