Saturday, April 30, 2011

An Easy Breakfast, with Special Occasion Results

I am a big fan of Easy! I am also a big fan of the not always done, not really common, special occasion worthy dishes. You see in my earlier life I was told I probably should stick to take out. My Late husband in our early years of marriage didnt have a lot of confidence in my cooking ability. Although I tried, I really didn't have the "sense" of how to bring my inspirations to fruition. This brought me to where I would put simple ingredients together and make them spectacular! I never shared my recipes with anyone for fear that they would know how easy it was and not be amazed at what I had accomplished. LOL, Little did I know that years later I would be encouraging hundreds of thousands of people to do the same thing.
Today is my companion's birthday. He's a simple guy who loves my cooking. He loves it simple, complicated, burnt or beautiful.. He is honestly always happy that I cook. So this morning I got up early and made him a Wonderful German Pancake. In essence it is a very easy recipe but the Wow factor makes it a Birthday worthy Breakfast!
German Pancake.

Ingredients

4 eggs
2 tbsp Butter (melted)
2/3 cup Flour (sifted)
2/3 cup Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp Sugar

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400°
Butter/Grease (2) 9 inch cake pans.

In a mixing bowl beat eggs.
Add sugar, beat until light and fluffy.
Add milk.and vanilla.
Combine with a whisk or spoon.
Add dry ingredients.
Combine well with whisk or spoon.
Add melted butter.
Combine.

*Note: if you would like the "crisp" texture as seen in the picture, combine all ingredients in a blender and "whip" for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. The air bubbles is was causes the crispness of the outer shell.
Alternatively, if you do not "aerate" the mixture the result is a light and smooth pancake. Truly a preference choice.

Pour Mixture evenly divided among the 2 pans.
Bake in 400° oven for 10 minutes. Lower oven to 325° for 10-15 additional minutes.
The edges will be a beautiful golden and the center a light creamy yellow.

Serve each pancake with your choice of butter and pancake syrup or fruit compote.
You can add brown sugar and cinnamon to the top of the pancake batter before putting it in the oven, Wow! Warm some apples in the microwave with cinnamon and butter and top the pancake with them, again WOW!
I decided today on simply topping it with Crushed Pineapple and butter. Delish!

These also can be a wonderful dessert!  Top with powdered sugar,  fruit and whipped cream or ice cream and fudge sauce! It's really a very versatile little addition to your culinary arsenal and nobody needs to know how easy it is!

Enjoy!





11 comments:

  1. My mom used to make these for Sunday breakfast. We loved them. I'd forgotten how simple and delicious they are. She used to top them with powdered sugar and lemon juice. Wonderful!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! SO simple! That melted butter and pineapple looks so scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sell like crazy in Miami on Aventura. I had these at a resturant there when my brother was in the hospital and always wanted the recipe thanks so much~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your partner!!! That's a really nice birthday breakfast. Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Kate! I'll give him the message :)
    It was a delicious way to start his day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm I like the idea of adding a crisp element. i'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ladies, Thank you so much for your thoughts. These truly are so easy, yet so beautiful that I sometimes am conflicted when I feel so proud of how beautiful they are! Plus they simply are delicious. Your families will love em!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved these so much I included them in my Delicious Links roundup! Can't wait to try this recipe. Maybe next weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am honored Chef! Thank you so much!!! Cant wait to hear about how your version turns out! Please let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We used to get these at Bickford's in New England with apples baked into them (with a little cinnamon and brown sugar). I may have to make this for breakfast on Sunday morning. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soxy, that's exactly what I was thinking of when I made this, I make the "Big Apple" you're speaking of with this same batter. I put the apple slices, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon on the bottom of the cast iron skillet...then pour the batter over it, and bake. Please try it, you will love it! I'm from Bristol, RI I used to go to the Bickfords in Seekonk, Ma :)

    ReplyDelete