Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pantry of Broward and FLIPANY offer a Course near and dear to my heart

As a "Food Blogger" I feel a responsibility to my community to offer my space on the vast Internet Horizon to support Wonderful Causes. I feel that to give them my attention and my space for a Great Cause enables me to give back in a palpable way. When I received an email from Joanne Miceli-Bogash asking if I would be interested in an event related to the Pantry of Broward  I quickly accepted!
610 NW 3rd Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
PHONE: (954) 358-1481
FAX: (954) 358-1483

If you  don't know about the Pantry of Broward, I'm not surprised. In doing some research I found that, The Pantry of Broward is 2 or so years old. Yet their Mission is an exemplary one. One that hits home for me in a very personal way. Their primary mission is to provide Food & Services to Senior Citizens in Need, on a Low Fixed Income, and/or Grandparents raising their Grandchildren in Broward County , South Florida. 
Their Mission statement is simple.
A study done by Pew Research Center states: "the number of households composed of multiple generations is higher than it has been in half a century, because of all the job losses and foreclosures that mark this recession".
Pantry of Broward, a non-profit organization,  is making strides in assisting their Broward Senior Community to live a quality filled life. Providing Resources to that community through Case Managers, and Resources not only assist the Seniors but help the children in those homes to maintain continuity. The ability of the child to remain in the Grandparent's care can provide the child the stability and continued level of care necessary to Strive and Succeed.


Starting January 18th, Pantry of Broward is partnering with FLIPANY (Florida introduces Physical Activity and Nutrition to Youth) to conduct a Culinary Education Course called "Cooking Matters for Families".  The course teaches school-age children (ages 6-12) and their parents (or in this case Grandparents) about healthy eating as a family and the importance of working together to plan and prepare healthy meals on a budget.
Is this fantastic or what? What is my Mantra???
Eat at YOUR kitchen table and not the Drive Thru!!!

Location:
The Pantry of Broward
610 NW 3rd Avenue
Fort Lauderdale , FL  33311

Dates: 
Tuesdays, January 18, 25, February 1, 8, 15 & 22;
Time:  3:00 P.M. - 5:00 P.M

Please stop by and give them your support. I'll see you there!


If you'd like to support the Pantry of Broward, there are many ways listed here: 

Broward Pantry Brochure : 


If you would like to just make a single monetary donation you can use your cell phone:
Simply Text the word FOOD to 20222 and a $5.00 donation will be made to the Pantry of Broward and be added to your cell phone bill.

5 comments:

  1. Truly fan - tas - tic! My parents ran the County Food Pantry here for many years. And now, I volunteer when I can.

    Kudos to you on the course. Being in the pantry, we'd have to tell people daily what to do with what was in their basket.. some of them had no clue unless it was open a can and eat it. (Often times, they would tell us they didn't have gas to spare for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I got goose bumps all over as I was reading this... great cause, great organization!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Toby: Thats so true. I am proud to be able to bring recognition to the Pantry and hope that it brings the Senior Community as much assistance as they need. It only takes one step at a time !

    @Kate: Thanks so much for your wonderful comment and for continuing to read. Your support is so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, forgive lateness of this post, but thank you so much for your kindness to The Pantry of Broward; your blog is chronicling some great food/social community goodness and commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comment Joanne. I am happy to have done it. I am very happy to bring attention to a wonderful community resource.

    ReplyDelete