Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Baked Apple Pancake

A few days ago I received a comment from a Reader "Soxy Girl said...

We used to get these at Bickford's in New England with apples baked into them (with a little cinnamon and brown sugar). I may have to make this for breakfast on Sunday morning. :D"
The post she commented on was for the "German Pancake" I had made for a certain someone's birthday breakfast...
She was absolutely right! I know the pancake she spoke of. The pancake in that recipe is modeled after the "Bickfords" Baby or Big Apple that we loved and enjoyed from my New England upbringing. As I hadn't had it in years and never really knew how to make it, I looked up several recipes and came up with one I thought was as close as I could come. The one I made in that post was sans Apples and Cinnamon because I needed something light and the recipient had a pension for Pineapple!!!
To bring back old memories, I made it again and made it in Apple and Cinnamon form just for "Soxy Girl" a fellow New Englander, who is now in Atlanta Georgia!

Baked Apple Pancake

Ingredients:

Topping
3-4 medium Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup Brown sugar
3/4 stick Butter (room temp)
3 Tbsp Cinnamon

Pancake batter
4 eggs
2 tbsp Butter (melted)
2/3 cup Flour (sifted)
2/3 cup Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp Sugar

Instructions:
Preheat Oven to 400°

In a Cast Iron Skillet, Melt 3/4 stick of butter.
Remove from heat
Arrange apple slices  at bottom.
Top with Brown Sugar and Cinnamon.

Prepare Batter:
Beat Eggs, Milk and Sugar and Vanilla until light and fluffy.
Add Flour and Salt. 
Combine.
Add the 2 tbsp melted butter.
Mix well.
Pour batter over apples.
Bake in 400° oven for 40 minutes or until pancake is light, puffy and golden brown.
Remove from oven and invert onto serving platter.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! Great recipe! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the perfect weekend breakfast! So simple too, must make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Ladies! I am sure you will love it!!

    ReplyDelete