Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hint of Spring...Eggplant Parmigiana

Eggplant Parmigiana

When I start to see the Beautiful Bright Purple Eggplant in the Grocery, I get all mushy inside.
I Love Eggplant can you tell? I know it's only February.. but the thought of a soft, sweet bit of Eggplant just warms my tummy. This weekend I visited my favorite farm stand and I found some beautiful Eggplant.
I had to add it to my week's Menu. I do a big shopping every two weeks. I plan each meal and include it on my list to shop for, but this week I had a side step. EGGPLANT.
An easy hearty, meatless meal that satisfies every little Italian hankering you could possibly have.

Eggplant Parmigiana

Ingredients

2 lbs Eggplant (sliced)
2 Cups Bread Crumbs
1 1/2 C Parmesan cheese
2 Tblsp Basil (chopped)
2 Tblsp Oregano (chopped)
2 Tblsp Garlic (powder)
Salt and Pepper
3 Eggs (beaten)
1/4 C Water
4 C Marinara Sauce
3 Cups Mozarella shredded
2 Cups Vegetable Oil

Marinara
In Medium Sauce pan, Warm 1 Tbslp Olive Oil , Tblsp Onion chopped, Tblsp Garlic chopped.
Saute until Onion translucent.
Add 1 10 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
Add 1 15 oz Can Tomato Sauce
Bring to boil.
Lower to medium Heat.
Add 1 Tblsp Basil (chopped)
Add 1 Tbslp Oregano (chopped)
Add 1 tsp Red crushed pepper
Add 1 Tblsp Sugar
Simmer 30 mins.
Taste, add salt and pepper to desired flavor.

Directions:

Slice Eggplant in rounds

Set up 2 bowls for Dredging.


In Bowl 1: Place Bread Crumbs, 1/2 C Parmesan Cheese, Basil Oregano Garlic Powder and Salt  Pepper. Combine all ingredients until spices well incorporated.
In Bowl 2: Beat 3 eggs and 1/4 c Water.

Dip Eggplant Slices into Egg wash, then into Bread Crumb Mixture.
Set aside.

In Large Saute Pan warm 1 1/2 C Vegetable Oil.
When Oil is warm enough for frying, (slight smoke),
place Dredged Eggplant in pan.
Fry until golden Brown.

When Eggplant is Golden Brown, remove from pan, drain on paper towel.
Layering

In a Baking Dish place, 1/2 C Marinara.
Add a Single layer of Eggplant.
Cover Eggplant with Marinara
Cover Marinara with Mozarella and Parmigiana.
Repeat Layers until end of eggplant.
For Top Layer cover contents of dish with Mozzarella and Parmesan.


Bake @ 375 for 40 minutes or until cheese is melted and Marinara bubbling.
The result is a wonderful Meatless Italian Entree.
Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. I also LOVE eggplant! I have to make this again as haven't done it in ages. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm...this looks fabulous! I'm hoping there's a hint of Spring under the inch of ice coating everything outside!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmm! Yummy!
    Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, Thanks so much You know how I love being an inspiration, and for Eggplant thats Great! It is certainly one of my favs! Please post pics on my Facebook Page, when you make it! I would Love it!
    http://www.facebook.com/FoodsLove

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that eggplant parm looks delicious! I also love eggplant and try to have it as often as possible when in season. Thanks for the reminder of spring - it's -6 degrees Fahrenheit out here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lizzy, Spring can be a state of mind! Draw the blinds, put on some Beach Boys and have a BBQ! Sunny Days are only a thought away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Veronica, Thanks so much for stopping by. I am delighted to see someone from MBC. How Great! Hope you enjoy the Recipe! Thanks so much for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Kate: Ya know, I too (even though in Florida)am sick of the "weather". I'm thinking I might do a Blog Beach Party..We can all get together with BBQ and Beach Recipes and have a Beach Night Dinner. Draw the shades, play the Beach Boys and go to the Caribbean in our own Kitchens! I'm posting this today! I see BBQ in my Readers Future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMmmmm...I just love this dish! So yummy. Sometimes for fun, I'll stack the eggplant pieces in towers with little dollops of sauce & cheese between each layer, then plate them individually. But the traditional, big hearty dish is always delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank You Rebecca, I so agree! Stacking it individually sounds great, Eggplant Towers! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love eggplant. I especially love spring. Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much Veronica! I so agree!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I featured this post in an Everything Mom meal plan! It should be live later on this week on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much Karen. I am honored and look forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete