Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lemon Coconut Tarts...a light Spring nosh.

Sometimes I get bogged down with the traditional way a recipe is prepared and don't play with my food. Today was different. Today I decided that Lemon was the addition to this little tart I needed to brighten up a traditional recipe. I also had a little coconut hanging around and said, Why not?!?  Why not, indeed!
Hope you love it as much as I do!


Lemon Coconut Tarts

Ingredients:
3 Eggs plus one yolk. (If you use extra Large eggs omit the extra yolk)
1 1/2 C Sugar
3 Tblsp butter (melted)
1 1/2 C Milk (pref whole)
1/2 C Coconut Milk (may use All whole milk if coconut milk unavailable)
1 Tblsp Lemon Zest (1 lemon worth)
3/4 C AP Flour (sifted)
7 oz Shredded Coconut (set aside 2 Tblsp for muffin tops)

Preheat oven to 325f
Prepare Muffin Tins with Baking Spray. Spray liberally.

In Blender:

Combine, Eggs, Sugar and Milks. (blend)
Add Butter.
Whip until frothy.
Add Lemon Zest
Combine.
Add Flour & Coconut (blend for 30 seconds min)

Mixture will be thin. 

Pour Mixture into each prepared muffin tin to 3/4 filled.
Top with scant amt coconut
Bake @ 325 for 35 minutes. No longer.
Remove from oven and move from pan to cooling rack immediately.

If using Cupcake Tin recipe yields 24.
If using Mini Muffin Tin yield is 48

Serve as is or glaze with Lemon Glaze

Lemon Glaze:
 3 cups Confectioners Sugar
2 Tblsp Lemon Juice
2 Tblps Milk
Combine well
Dip tarts into glaze and allow to dry on cooling rack.


11 comments:

  1. Those look beyond yummy!! Coconut, Lemon, how can you go wrong with that combo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I always like recipes with a combination of lemon and coconut! I think they are the perfect match! Thanks for sharing this Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the idea that it's more coconut than lemon and I wouldn't use anything but coconut milk in this one. Very nice. N
    cucinananette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look nice, I like that both coconut milk and shredded coconut were used

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken, Thanks so much for the generous comment! I too love the freshness of the combination of lemon and coconut! Soo good! Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was certainly my pleasure Manu! They were a delight! I couldn't help but want to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nanette, Thanks so much for stopping by :) I love your blog! Always something going on in your kitchen :) Thanks for the comment, the coconut provides a nice texture to the otherwise smooth custard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Medeja !! They really are a wonderful little treat! Let me know if you make them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound fantabulous... the combination of lemon and coconut is so yummy good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate....can I just tell you they were so good I couldn't stop thinkin about them? i kept thinking of variations..I'm adding the Orange Chocolate Variation this morning. Made them last night! Fabulous!!! This is a gotta try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laurie, your Lemon Coconut Tarts look very delicious.I would like to bake it.Ingredients are with cup not with gramms.I must see how I calculate the ingredients can with gramms..
    Hugs
    Cali

    ReplyDelete